Saturday, April 20, 2013
What to Take to the Hospital
I know I'm a day late, but work has been crazy lately and I haven't had much of a chance to blog lately. But, I think this link up is a great idea and I wanted to share my thoughts this week.
Having had two kids, I can tell you that the difference between what I packed for Ewan and what I packed for Cecily was crazy. With Ewan, I had a bag STUFFED full of things I never used, both for him and for me. I also had it packed since I was about 32 weeks, which is good because if you go into preterm labor, then you're ready to go. But, if not, then you might wind up constantly digging into your bag for things you still need, like I did!
Things you should bring to the hospital:
1. toiletries - check the hospital's policy on this one - where Ewan was born, everything was provided, but where Cecily was born, I had to provide it.
2. clothes to wear home - when I was at the hospital with Ewan, I had had a c-section and just wore hospital gowns until the day I went home because I was in too much pain to wear anything on my incision.
3. pads - The hospital will provide you with these giant pads and mesh panties to wear while you're there and sometimes they'll even give you some to take with you. I personally couldn't stand them and started wearing heavy flow pads ASAP.
4. hair ties - Essential. Both times I was in labor, the one thing I was super concerned about was my hair. If you have even remotely long hair, you're not going to want it in your face. Trust me.
5. shower shoes/slippers - I wasn't allowed of bed with Ewan, so it wasn't an issue, but with Cecily, I was barefoot in labor. Gross I know, but it was the least of my concerns. After they're born though? Gross!
6. lanolin - if you're breastfeeding, this is essential. Your boobs will hurt at first. A lot.
7. car seat - the hospital won't let you leave without it! Please make sure it is properly installed - check your hospital to see if they will do this for you before the baby is here, or sometimes the local police/fire departments will do this as well.
8. camera/video camera/batteries - Self explanatory!
9. phone/charger - You will need your charger, trust me. Once that bundle of you is here, if not before, your phone will BLOW UP!
10. going home outfits for baby - Check your hospital's policy on this. Again, at the hospital where Ewan was born, we weren't allowed to put him in clothes we brought, only hospital outfits. With Cecily, they didn't provide outfits, so we had to bring clothes for her. Bring more than one. Ewan had a blowout right before we were going to leave and required a last minute diaper change.
11. blankets - depending on the weather, you may or may not need a blanket. I personally have a carseat canopy that I picked up for super cheap with a code from Parents magazine.
Things that are unnecessary:
1. Boppy pillow - Using a pillow at the hospital is easy enough, plus it's one less thing you have to lug around there.
2. receiving blankets - The hospital will have plenty.
3. diapers/wipes - Check your hospital's policy, but they will usually provide you with more than enough for your stay. Plus, you can take them with you when you leave and it will be enough to get you home.
I'm sure there are more things that I'm forgetting, but this is what comes to mind at the moment!